When with your mother
* pretend she's a real person;
* when's she asks, say you want mashed potatoes and gravy;
* ask questions;
* relax, forget how annoying it is when she picks her toenails;
* there are reruns, on demand, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon;
* she'll say it's your day, but she'll run right past your favorite store anyway.
When you placate and roll your eyes behind her back, she's rolling her eyes behind yours. You're still an indecisive, irritable asshole, she thought she raised you better, but WTF, you're your own problem now.
I feel better now. Funny interlude focused my mind. Maybe I should think on why my day dreams almost always start there.