1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I got a roommate. I may have written about it, but I can't recall (and I tend not to want to read old posts), but, anyway, so yeah I got a roommate, which was a big deal, because if anything bothers me it's my discomfort around people, my floundering about with regard to propriety, how I forget to ask questions, how to behave when I don't want to interact, and so on.
It's taken almost a year but we're getting to know each other better now. I still get mad and walk about muttering angrily to myself of crumbs, rather than say, ask her to wipe off the counter, but I am working on it.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any and it didn't even occur to me to make any this year. I can't make decisions and stick to them on a day to day basis.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Don't Mind the Mess's Jess. Does that count?
I have increasingly started referring to the people whose blogs I read as if I know them personally. I talked about If By Yes and Don't Mind The Mess with a mommy friend the other day, about Womanist Musings, Slutever, Tits and Sass with roommate and in shitfests with Frank (since he doesn't think my feelings are legit unless other ppl feel them too), and just yesterday I talk to my mom about Suicidal No More.
I follow a number of blogs so closely that I sort of feel I know their authors. I haven't seen posts from Emotional Umbrella, Me and the Bee, Reflections on Depression, She Became a Butterfly, Sodrammatic and Vicarious Therapy in a long time. I hope it's because they're keeping busy loving life. One blog disappeared altogether this year, hopefully for only good reasons.
I don't comment much. I know I'm supposed to. That's how I am supposed gain readers for my own blog, but I use an RSS reader and it doesn't lend itself to commenting and I never get around to it later.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My cat. 15 years of cuddles.
5. What countries did you visit?
My home country, squeezed it in December 29, and am still there. I am currently in my mom's living room avoiding thinking about The Black Cat because I don't want to alarm mom by crying.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Freedom from Precarious Financial Situation, no fear, beauty, fame, loads of money and love.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I don't have that kind of relationship with time, or dates, for that matter. Without LinkedIn I would have no clue what year I graduated or where I lived for how long.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I got a seriously awesome performance review, and a bonus, and a reward, and a raise.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Still not being able to get shit done.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had a cough. It felt like my lungs were coming out. I am also s bipolar albino. No, really.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Two accordions and a digital piano.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Ted's, for driving me to the vet when I had to put The Black Cat down. He is a rock, still.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mine and Frank's. I know I'm at fault, but I just don't know what to do, so I have finally stopped trying.
My friend, for whom I got a mortgage so she could buy a house (Precarious Financial Situation is complicated), who now appears to thinks it's OK to not pay the mortgage.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really excited about?
Accordion, and Mindset (it's a bit devoid of nuance, but the author defends that, so she gets a point for awareness), and how enjoyable it can be to just do.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
I'll need to refer back to the date etch question, but let's see: in 4/4: Right hand: GEEe, FDDd, CDEF GGGg... Left hand: C 3CM, G 3GM, C CM G GM, C 3CM... Fairly certain the neighbors, the cats and the roommate will remember it too.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– Happier or sadder? Happier.
– Thinner or fatter? Fatter.
– Richer or poorer? Richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Maintained my friendships.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With a book.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
No. I stayed in love, for the worse I think. I need to find another receptacle than Frank. Well, yawn. My Merry Christmases and Happy New Years have been met with dead silence, which, I guess, is a big fuck you very much, that will later be excused with how busy he has been. Yes, I am bitter.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Doctor Who. Shit, the Ponds. I am heartbroken.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't hate people, too much energy. I hate myself, but nothing's changed there, really.
I hate BlogPress (iPhone app) a little more for each bounce -- it bounces every time I type a character -- but I use it because it has basic HTML editing, integrates with blogger and lists my existing tags. So, what if I get a seizure.
24. What was the best book you read?
Let me check Goodreads. The Mongoliad, book one, by Neal Stephenson, et al. It was so surprisingly awesome. I am quite disappointed in the follow up, I haven't even finished it yet, it lacks the intimacy of the first book.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The accordion, I love it.
26. What did you want and get?
Appreciation at work.
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Uh. Thor? I don't watch movies. Too much investment in people you'll never meet again.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My roommate got me a cake and I ate it all when she was out. I am pretty sure she couldn't believe her freaking eyes when she got home. Unfortunately, shame has never stood between me and sweets.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Getting things done.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Practical. Short sleeved t-shirt over long-sleeved t-shirt and jeans.
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Idris Elba, maybe, although he comes off as somewhat of moron IRL.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Abortion. If I have to, I'll follow the spirit of the second amendment and defend abortion clinics from a religiously corrupt government.
35. Who did you miss?
Ted, dad, The Black Cat, My.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
D and S.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
I learned that my notions about innate talent, potential and IQ have stood in the way of me trying out and learning and enjoying a million things. Because in my heart of heart I think stupid shit like it's too late to start now.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
It takes a thought to make a word
And it takes some words to make an action
It takes some work to make it work
It takes some good to make it hurt
It takes some bad for satisfaction
-- Jason Mraz, Life Is Wonderful